LOW IMPACT DEVELOPMENT BENEFITS OUR COMMUNITY
Low Impact Development (LID) refers to highly effective plans that emphasize retaining the natural features of a building site. Negative impacts of development are reduced, such as unnecessary mass grading and soil compaction. It protects trees. It provides real benefits and preserves the value of investment. LID also reduces infrastructure and environmental costs.
LID protects tree roots, thereby reducing water in basements and maintaining healthy water table around property. Tree roots sponge up rainwater which increases groundwater recharge. LID costs less than conventional storm-water management systems.
Trees reduce erosion of soil. They also enhance evaporation of rainwater back to the atmosphere after a storm. Therefore, there is reduced chance of flooding and pollution damage.
Protecting green spaces gives advantages!
- reduced energy costs for air conditioning and heating
- reduced greenhouse gases and heat island effect
- improved air quality for the community
- increased property value
- improved pollinator and bird habitat
- improved liveability and aesthetics of a community
- reduced smog and particulate damage
- improved wetlands, green corridors and wildlife habitat
- big broad trees give shade for reduced UV exposure
Guelph Urban Forest Friends www.guffguelph.ca