Students Picture Nature
A photo contest presented by Guelph Urban Forest Friends and Nature in the Neighbourhood
This exciting joint project between the Guelph Urban Forest Friends (GUFF) and Nature in the Neighbourhood (NitN) aims to encourage young people to get outside, and look at the natural world with a fresh perspective.
Students may submit a photo from one of the following categories:
- The Giving Tree – Capture one of the ways that your favourite tree supports life. Think about all of the things that “life-support” can mean in this situation.
- Trees in Disguise – Photograph a tree, or a part of a tree, that looks like something else. A chair, a face, a dragon – you name it! Trees can be sneaky…
- Hope for the Future – Capture a positive message in nature. A positive human impact, nature fighting back or people enjoying the natural world respectfully.
Your Participation -
Educators are invited to participate in 1 of 3 ways:
- Give them the tools – Provide your students with the information they require to participate in the contest independently. This could be as simple as distributing the ¼ page flyer (included in this package) to your students and encouraging them to get outside to take some photos and to submit them on their own. Cost = $0
- Organize a class project – Incorporate this exciting contest into a class assignment or homework project. Help them with ideas, composition, and submission. You could even host a smaller class or school-wide contest, or an exhibit at your school. Cost = $0
- Plan a nature photography outing – Take your students outside for a few hours and we’ll come along to help! Experienced Nature in the Neighbourhood facilitators will join you on an outing to deliver a modified version of their Schoolyard Safari program. Students will capture beautiful photographs while learning about the natural world around them. Cost = $25/outing
- Participants may submit 1 photograph for each of the 3 categories (for a total of 3 photographs).
- Photographs must be taken in the Guelph area.
- Each photograph must be submitted in a separate email to: email@example.com
- Submissions must be no larger than 2MB. Larger versions may be required from winners for exhibition purposes.
- In the email with each photo submission, put category( The Giving Tree, Trees in Disguise, Hope for the Future) as the subject of email
- In the message, fill in the entry information(hint: cut and paste into email, then fill in)
- Phone number or email address
- Secondary School
- Teacher Name ( if a class project)
- Location of the photo in Guelph
- Title of photo (optional)
- Submissions will be accepted until October 31st, 2012.
A panel of 3; an artist, a photographer and a tree lover will judge all entries. The winner will be announced shortly after the contest closes on October 31st, 2012. Judges decisions are final. First, second and third places will be determined in each category and a grand prize winner will be selected from the top 9. All winners will be notified by email.
Winning entries will receive a professionally framed photograph that will be part of a special exhibition. An additional grand prize will also be awarded.
The Guelph Urban Forest Friends will display winning photographs at an art exhibition and on our website with credit to the photographer until March 2013. Any other use of submitted photographs will be with permission.
Special thanks to our sponsors:
Meridian Credit Union,
The Stone Store,
Kloepfers Framing and Gallery.